Thursday, February 21, 2008

Save the Manatees!!!

Today was another hot and sunny day out at sea. This was our last boat/snorkel tour here in Caye Caulker that almost didn't happen for me (Harold). I had a bit of an upset stomach and didn't think traveling in a boat with no toilet would be too smart. Thank goodness for Pepto Bismol! I was fine by the time the boat was leaving and at the last minute said I'd go. I couldn't leave Sara alone with noisy, non-stop talking Canadians! That's another story.

The first part of our boat trip today was out to the Caye Chapel reef site one which was very close to the barrier reef. This reef was definitely not as diverse as Turneffe or even Hol Chan. It was nice and I did get to see a small school of squid. Next was to another spot on Caye Chapel but with a bit more diversity. After snokeling we headed off to St. George's Caye for a lunch stop. I thought lunch would be included but we had to buy lunch at this remote restaurant on an island that for all intents and purposes is deserted! Didn't get to see any of the island as we were waiting for our food order that took well over an hour! Just in time to leave.

Last stop (second last) was Swallow Caye to see the Manatees. The most we got to see were the snouts and heads as they came up for air but it was still pretty cool! We made a short stop at shark ray alley just off Caye Caulker.

Tonight's our last night in Caye Caulker. We leave at 8:30 am by Maya Air for Belize City. Then we visit the Zoo and then to Caves Branch Lodge. we may or may not have internet access at Caves Branch so this may be our last post until Placencia in about a week!!

2 comments:

BOB & DONNA said...

hi

BOB & DONNA said...

Hi we finally got this to work.
glad you're having a good time.
sent you an e mail. so nice to walk the beach again and put feet into the sand and salt water.